Wisper bikes are popular and have a good track record. the two models featured here have powerful batteries so increased range. Worth looking at the Wisper website for the list of bikes and full details. The eco models start at just over £1000. What’s impressive is the section on support:
There are two types of Wisper retailer, a Full Service Wisper Centre and a Wisper retailer as the names suggest the two can offer differing levels of service however we highly recommend all Wisper retailers on our official list.
A Full Service Wisper Centre will be able to offer you the following;
1. A free 300 mile or 3 month SAFETY and spoke check with adjustment where needed.*
2. Ability to resolve all warranty issues at their premises with free labour on all repairs under warranty in the first year.**
3. At least one of each Wisper bike in their premises ready for demonstration and road testing.
4. Full preparation service to enable you to ride your new Wisper bike away from the premises.
5. Pre delivery inspection on each and every Wisper bike that leaves their premises.
6. High level of knowledge about the features, advantages and benefits of a Wisper bike.
7. Ability to offer full servicing on Wisper bikes.
* The safety service includes checking and tightening nuts, bolts, spokes and fixings where necessary but does not include the replacement of consumables such as brake pads, tyres etc. The free safety check is available before the bike has completed 300 miles or for three months after collection/delivery of the Wisper bike, whichever is the sooner.
**Free labour only applies to Wisper bikes supplied by the Wisper Full Service Centre from where you have purchased the bike. e.g. If a bike is purchased from ABC Bikes in London only ABC Bikes in London can offer free labour for warranty issues in the first year. Delivery to and collection from your Wisper Dealer is not included and will be chargeable.
A Wisper Retailer will be able to offer the following;
1. High level of knowledge about the features, advantages and benefits of a Wisper bike.
2. At least one Wisper Bike from each range for demo purposes.
3. The ability to offer advice on servicing your Wisper bike.
Wisper 905se Electric Bike (15.5 amp) Specification
Motor 250w 36v High efficiency brushless
Battery Lithium Polymer 36V 15.5A
Charger Lithium 120 to 240V/37V 4A, fan cooled, alloy case, approved for worldwide use
Modes Throttle and peddle assist, with on / off button on handle bars.
Controls: Handlebar control with 7 mode power assistance control, front/rear light control & bike on/off control –
Throttle: Throttle to 6km and thereafter to 15.5mph with pedalling. Throttle can be enabled to 15.5mph on request)
Assisted Range Up to 56 miles
Maximum speed 15.5mph under power –
Weight Bike with battery & all accessories – 25kg
Gears Shimano SIS Alivio – 7 speed – 14/16/18/20/22/24/34T
Frame Hand welded 6061 T3 Alloy T4 & T6 Tempered – Diamond Black Metallic Paint
Forks Magnesium RST VITA Hydraulic Suspension with lock out and adjuster
Handle bars Black anodised riser bars with Ergo support grips.
Brakes Rear Tektro Alloy V. Front TECTRO Novela vented disc brakes – upgraded cables for 2011
Chain wheel Alloy 48T pro wheel
Pedals Alloy Non Slip MTB – upgraded for 2011
Wheels Alex 2100 26 x 1.5″ rims
Spokes 13g Stainless steel
Chain KNC Z51RB Rust Resistant
Seat Post – Alloy suspension
Rims Alex Z2100 26″ x 1.5
Tyres & Tubes Kenda 26″ x 1.75 puncture resistant with super tough tape & Slime
Kick stand Alloy black twin fixing points –
Lights Side, back and front reflectors, front 36v 15w and rear LED light powered from the main battery – handlebar controlled – (new for 2011)
Included: Full Mudguards, Wisper Chainguard Water bottle holder , 25kg rack with straps
All fixings Alloy or stainless steel
But Edinburgh Cycles are selling the better Alpino at the same price (£1599):
High efficiency brushless front wheel drive motor.
Extended run time – the Lithium /Ion 37V 16Ah no-leak polymer battery offers up to 100 kilometres power assistance.
The fast (4 hour) intelligent charger stops charging when the battery is fully charged.
A bar-mounted control unit makes it easy to switch the power assist off and on, adjust the power assist level, turn the lights on and off while you cycle, and it displays the battery charge level.
The hydroformed, hand-welded 6061 aluminium frame is as strong as need be, as light as can be.
The Alfine drivetrain is Shimano’s best quality 8-speed hub gear.
Locating the gear change mechanisms inside the hub makes for a lower-maintenance, longer-lasting, cleaner transmission.
Shimano mechanical disc brakes deliver low maintenance consistent performance.
The Kenda 700×38 puncture-resistant tyres offer a smooth ride on roads, and they are wide enough to cope with rough cycle paths.
These tyres are filled with Slime sealant to make them even more puncture resistant.
The suspension forks come from the much respected fork manufacturer, RST.
The fork’s suspension can be locked out for smooth roads where bump absorption is not required.
Swept-back handlebars on an adjustable-rise stem help ensure you are sitting comfortably.
Supplied and fitted with rear rack and polycarbonate mudguards.
Supplied and fitted with twin-legged kickstand to support the bike wherever you park it.
Supplied and fitted with high-efficiency LED lights (15W front!) powered by the same battery as the motor.
Upgrades over Wisper 905SE
Cleaner, lower-maintenance Shimano Alfine transmission featuring 8-speed hub gears and hollow tech cranks.
700×38 tyres are faster than 26x.1.75 tyres.
Shimano disc brakes front and rear.
Check this review of the Wisper 906 Alpino in tech.uk.msn, which concludes, ‘the most fun I’ve had on a road bike in ages